Story 11: Learning to LeadStory | Print | eMail | Related Media | Archives
Sidebar: Director's Project: How Long Did It Take?
Written by Mike Spock
- Director to board: need new organization plan
- 04/29/70 - President of board to executive committee
- 05/06/70 - Director to president of board requesting "sabbatical"
- 05/07/70 - Three senior/honorary trustees to president of board
- 05/12/70 - President of board to three senior/honorary Trustees
- Board votes for director's sabbatical
- Spock moves to Institute of Contemporary Art as Director's Project (DP) begins.
- Executive Committee Meeting
- July Report on Director Project
- Arthur D Little proposal for consultation
- Memo to Project Committee: Where the Museum Stands Today
- Memo to Project & Executive Committees re: Interim Reorganization
- McBer hired
- Interviews with staff and board and work environment/climate survey
- Eight half-day consultations begin to work out plan new role for Spock with homework assignments as preparation for each session
- Staff & Board Retreat with decisions discussed and announced
Resulting Turnaround: FY 71 & FY 72
- Deficits end
- Organization stabilizes
- New roles for director and division managers
- Second climate survey indicates better/clearer work environment
Next: Sidebar: What Do You Worry about at 4 a.m.?